यह पोस्ट मैने अपने मित्र आलोक वर्मा के लिंक्डइन अकाउंट से हासिल की है। ज्ञान दर्शन जैसे चैनलों का बंद होना हमारे सामाजिक पतन की निशानी है। केवल ज्ञान दर्शन ही नहीं एकलव्य और व्यास चैनल भी खत्म हो रहे हैं।
Gyan Darshan, a knowledge dissemination television channel under IGNOU, breathed its last without anyone knowing about it. Instead of ratifying the legality of the channel by the I and B Ministry, which initiated the 'must carry' provision for cable operators, refused to allow the channel to function from a new transponder allotted by ISRO. Also dead are Eklavya channel operated by IITs and Vyas channel operated by the UGC.
Dr R Sreedher, a wellknown academician and media practitioner, who was responsible for setting up these channels to offer educational support to the disadvantaged rural India, has been waging a lone battle to revive these channels by convincing the Ministries of I & B and HRD to reconsider their decision.
If any of journalist friends want to to do this story can contact Dr R Sreedher at his mobile no +91 9810778459
The following is a version of events from Dr sreedher who have shape it these channels .
1. When we started transmission on 26th january 2000 we used the transponder on the ageing satellite INSAT 1B which was at the disposal of Doordarshan
2. Later in 2002, at the initiative of Mr Kasturi Rangan, Mr Abdul Kalam and others, a new full transponder was allotted to Gyan Darshan on Insat 3c. In fact Gyan Darshan was the first to dock with the satellite
3. Mr Kalam and Mr Kasturi rangan insisted on going digital in 2002 itself so Gyan Darshan became simulcast , analog and digital.
4. One analog transponder can be used to transmit 6 digital tv channels in those days and today i hear that due to compression technologies we can go upto 12
5. Hence Gyan Darshan transponder's capacity was augmented for 6 digital channels in 2002
6. 2003 Jan 26 -Eklvaya - the GD3 channel- technology - was launched with IITs providing the infrastructure and contents but uplinked form IGNOU
7. Jan 26, 2004 Gyan Darshan 4 - Vyas Channel - Higher education channel - was launched with UGC taking the resposiility through conosrtiumof educational communciation
8. 2004 - Govt declares Gyan Darsan channel - a must carry for cable operators along with Lok Sabha and Rajya sabha channels
9. It was never the intentin of the Govt to run these chanels through IGNOU. The first order in Jan 2000 itself said that it was only an interim arrangement till a separate entitity for Educational media transission was established
10. Educational Brodcasting coroporation of India ( Gyan Bharati) was also proposed
11.Since it was found that IGNOU is not the right place to run these channels due to change of Vice chanellor and his way of working on Septemer 30th 2003 Government issued an extra ordinary gazette to take away the role of IGNOU in managing these channels
12. IGNOU was asked to submit a report to the new committee which was to meet in Jan 2004 and the VC was just one of the members of the same.
13. IGNOU VC used his clout and postponed the meeting
14.February 2004 - Loksabha was dissolved and country went it for elections
15. UPA Government thought that these were NDA's babies and gave lukewarm response
16. 2012 - Government proposes to start 40 DTH channels for education while the 4 earlier channels were languishing
Read in LinkedIn